Thursday, January 14, 2010

None of your beeswax

So me being the crazy person that I am have been contemplating being a beekeeper.
Everytime I drove past a hive this summer it would drive me crazy! So finaly I decided I was going to look into it. We have a Brother at our church that we have got to know more through housing his steer, he has several hives and has been doing this for years. I decided I was going to ask him, how I could get started. He invited me over to help "Extract honey".
This is called a super and in the super there are frames that the bees make the combs.

Most of the time when the bees are done with the frame they cap off the comb with wax. To extract we have to cut the caps off using a heated knife.

This is the extracter you place the frames in it and spin the honey out. The honey is filtered several different times before being packaged. It was a yummy expeince. There was a little more to it but this was the main process.
This next spring I might be bringing home a hive to experiment with, I am so excited.
Thanks Miller Family for letting us share this amazing experience!



No comments: